I think that alot of us could benefit from abit of a boost in resilience. Resilience is a very important trait to have, it helps us to develop our own ways of protection against experiences that can be overwhelming and enables us to maintain balance in our lives during difficult and tough times. I didn’t want to write a long-winded post about resilience instead I wanted to write a more quick yet effective post and share with you five suggestions for boosting your resilience. I have also included a few inspirational quotes that I love too for that extra positive boost!
- Don’t Let A Bad Day Turn Into A Bad Week. Instead acknowledge and accept any difficulties and move on. Remember that you have the control to change how you react to situations. “You can’t always control what happens, but you can always control how you react.”
- Focus On The Positives. Sometimes doing this can seem impossible but stay strong with not letting the negatives overpower you. Take a moment eachday to focus on the positives of the day (no matter how small) and make sure you celebrate the small wins in life too. “When you focus on problems, you’ll have more problems. When you focus on possibilities, you’ll have more opportunities.” and “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.”
- Never Live In The Past. Take each day as it comes and focus on the brightness of the future. “Don’t live in the past, thinking about mistakes or changes you made. Think of your life as a book, move forward, close one chapter and open another. Learn from your mistakes but focus on your future, not on your past.” My favourite quote that I remind myself of daily is “One day at a time” it’s a short quote but incredibly powerful and really helps to ground me.
- Ask For Help If You Need It. All of us experience times when we feel overwhelmed which is totally understandable and we all have moments where we turn to people for support. Never be afraid of asking for help yourself and never let your pride stand in the way of getting the help you need and deserve. “Be strong enough to stand alone, smart enough to know when you need help, and brave enough to ask for it.” and “Asking for help isn’t weak, it’s a great example of how to take care of yourself.”
- Surround Yourself With Loved Ones – Family And Good Friends. They will bring you up when you feel low and down and give you the lift that you need. “Friends are those who will pick you up when no one else has even noticed you have fallen.”