If you have ever experienced a meditation session you will know just how calm and peaceful it felt to pause and sit calmly with yourself in that moment. During this coronavirus global pandemic practising meditation daily has been extremely beneficial to me, it’s provided me with a (much needed) space of serenity despite all of the unsettling changes happening. Meditation has many positive benefits like reducing stress and giving you more control over anxiety and because of this it has been my rock during this time and, I’m sure that I’m not the only one who has felt an overwhelming amount of support from a daily meditation session.
Because it’s been extremely valuable to me I wanted to share with you all my favourite grounding technique that has helped me to stay grounded and has given me a sense of safety during the times that I’ve felt a bit overwhelmed. This particular meditation brings you back to your body and roots your energy back into the earth. It is very useful during times of uncertainty, when feeling stressed out and when changes that are out of your control are happening around you… It will give you that moment of calm and peace.
My Favourite Grounding Meditation
- Sit upright in a straight backed chair and feel comfortable in your position. Place your palms on your lap facing upwards.
- Close your eyes gently and take three deep breaths in and out through your nose. Then bring your breathing back to it’s natural rhythm.
- Acknowledge the feeling of your body weight sitting on the chair, your feet on the floor, your palms on your lap etc…
- Start to bring your attention to visualise a golden energy coming from the sky down to you. Down into the top of your head and passing through every area in your body and then finally out through your feet.
- Once this golden energy has reached the bottom of your feet imagine it creating solid roots that come out of your feet which anchors you into the earth and grounds you securely. Energy moves in any direction it pleases so the roots aren’t forced to stay in one place, allow these roots to move wherever they desire, they will keep you grounded and deeply connected to the earth whatever their path. You have now been grounded into a helpful and positive energy system. Sit quietly for a few moments enjoying this connected feeling.
- Now turn your palms to face downwards on your lap, visualise the golden energy stopping flowing into the top of your head. It is no longer flowing into you but the energy stays in your body. If it helps you can wiggle your fingers or slowly rub your hands on your lap whilst feeling the energy still in your body.
- Bring your awareness back to the weight of your body pressed against the chair, the feeling of your feet on the floor and listen to the familiar sounds around you that bring you back into the present moment and your surroundings. Then slowly open your eyes and enjoy the feeling of protection from the energy inside of you, helping you to feel a little more emotionally stronger and more grounded as you continue on with the day.