If you know me and have been reading my blog for awhile you will know that I am a strong believer in the healing properties of Essential Oils. I adore essential oils and they have personally given me incredible benefits and have really helped me out so, this week I wanted to write about my six favourite essential oils for tired minds which also help with getting a better night sleep too. With all of the uncertainty going on in the world currently I think many of us are struggling to fully relax and even struggling to get a decent night sleep… and a decent night sleep to fully restore and recuperate is exactly what we need, as a good quality sleep does wonders for your overall health! If you are looking for natural ways to drift off to sleep with ease and to stay asleep through the night then these calming and relaxing essential oils may be the solution that you have been looking for…
- Lavender – This is probably the most popular and well known essential oil for a good night sleep so that’s why it’s at the top of my list. This has a calming and relaxing scent which helps to slow down your nervous system and decrease your heart rate and blood pressure which helps you to fall into a deeper sleep. When I use Lavender I do notice that in the morning I also wake feeling more energetic and ready to start the day.
- Bergamot – Bergamot is a citrus fruit and those types of essential oils usually give more of an energy boost however, Bergamot is also known for it’s calming effect. It does the same as Lavender really where it slows your heart rate and lowers you blood pressure to help you sleep. It’s wonderful at reducing anxiety and stress aswell.
- Vetiver – This is a calming oil which has an earthy scent to it, perfect for feeling grounded and secure. It also has sedative qualities which can help you to get a better night sleep.
- Cedarwood – Another woody/earthy scented oil, Cedarwood helps to soothe an overworked mind and like Vetiver helps you to feel grounded too.
- Basil – Basil is a great oil for adrenal exhaustion and it supports people who are feeling overwhelmed and fatigued. It has calming properties and reduces stress so it’s perfect for those who wake up alot during the night feeling uneasy and stressed out.
- Rose – This is a heart-healer oil for emotional heartbreak. If your struggling to sleep due to alot of different emotions then this essential oil may work for you. It decreases blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate and stress levels so will help to soothe you before you sleep. I find when I use this essential oil it connects me to more feelings of love and compassion too.
A Little Extra Note – Essential Oils are generally considered safe to use. The list above are just a few types of essential oils that may help with better sleep but if you’re struggling with sleep issues then I would also advise checking in with your doctor for more information and help. Please be aware that for pregnant women and also for children not all essential oils are suitable to use so please check this carefully before using. Never apply essential oils directly to the skin without a carrier oil and use only one to two drops. (Please research how to use essential oils safely before using any.) Lastly, including a good ‘wind down’ routine to your night time will also help to promote a more relaxing bedtime, do this whilst using your chosen bedtime essential oil/oils and together it should work wonders.
Of course there are many more essential oils out there that have wonderful properties for better sleep and calming tired minds but, these are just a selection of my favourite ones for aromatherapy at bedtime. I would recommend if your interested to do some further research to find the essential oils that work best for you personally and your individual needs. Down in the comments below feel free to share other essential oil suggestions for getting a better night sleep and ones that help with winding down before bedtime. Like always I love to hear from you all, so feel free to comment all of your thoughts and opinions down below.