If you’ve been reading my blog for a while now you will know that I am a huge nature lover… I truly believe that nature can help us heal and can help us to reconnect with what matters most. Nature is beautiful and you can reap so many incredible benefits from being in nature so, I wanted to share with you 5 simple ways in which you can cultivate a sense of wonder and immerse yourself in nature like it was the first time every time you step foot outside.
- Rekindle Amazement – Remember that feeling you had as a young child discovering all of the joys that nature offered? As adults sometimes we can take experiences for granted that we have done before (For Example; A walk in the local park) and we can become abit jaded. So each time you go outside try to remember and rekindle that amazement you felt as a young child when out in nature.
- Really Notice Things – Immerse all of your senses when in nature and fully engage in the present moment. Tune into what you can smell, what you can hear, what shapes/textures and colours surround you, how the sun/rain/wind feels on your skin, observe what the creatures around you are doing etc… Noticing all of these things in the present moment will really engage you and ground you. (You can even journal in a small notebook or make a voice recording on your phone to note your observations when out if you wish to refer back to them later.)
- Brave The Wind And The Rain – Sometimes we might choose to ‘hibernate’ and stay indoors when the weather isn’t what we hoped for… but these moments of wild forces can really remove you from one state and connect you to a new one. Nature can be unpredictable so try to enjoy all of the changes and brave going out when it’s really windy or raining or super cold… you might find in the end you even loved it.
- Physically Connect With The Earth – It’s a powerful act when you connect yourself physically in nature. Walk barefoot on the grounding earth, dip your toes in the flowing stream, run your fingers through the grass and the soil, lie down on the ground and feel the earth supporting you, look up and admire the clouds and the sky and feel that sense of awe etc… Connecting with the earth in this way is a truly wonderful feeling.
- Befriend A Tree – This idea might sound abit funny ‘befriend a tree’ but it’s such a simple yet inspiring thing to do. Next time you are out and about choose a tree that you feel connected to and make sure to visit it often or if possible every time you go out. Notice the changes that take place overtime with the tree… perhaps it’s bloomed, changed to a new colour, or it’s grown taller. It will give you a sense of wonder as you notice the new changes.
I would love to know if you have any other ideas that you would like to add to this post for cultivating a new sense of wonder when out in nature and like always feel free to also share your thoughts and opinions in the comments down below, I love hearing from you all!