When it comes to facial oils they are abit like marmite in the skincare world… you either love them or hate them. Over the years however facial oils have gained more popularity thanks to myths about them finally being debunked. People also used to think that oils meant greasy skin and breakouts but now we are more open minded and luckily for us there is a facial oil out there on the market for every skin type. What’s wonderful about facial oils is that they have smaller molecules so can penetrate the skin more deeply compared to moisturisers and creams that sit on the surface of the skin.
Which Facial Oil Is Right For You?
There are so many different facial oils available to purchase and it can be hard to know which one is the right facial oil for your skin type. I personally love single-ingredient facial oils as other skincare products include a variety of different ingredients in them already so, I like to keep my facial oils as simple as possible. Find out below which single-ingredient facial oils are best suited for your skin type…
- Almond – This oil is fabulous for soothing eczema and psoriasis but please remember to avoid if you have nut allergies!
- Argan – This is the perfect oil for normal skin types, it’s just overall a good hydrating oil.
- Rosehip – If you have sensitive skin then this should be your go to oil. It helps to rebuild your skin barrier and evens out pigmentation too.
- Jojoba – Struggle with greasy or acne-prone skin? You need to try out Jojoba oil it’s fast absorbing and best for greasy/acne-prone skin.
- Coconut – This is another good oil for preventing breakouts as it’s antibacterial and antifungal.
- Abyssininan – This is a great option for mature and ageing skin thanks to it’s fatty acid content.
When And How To Use Your Facial Oil…
Facial oils are best applied after your evening cleanse so that they can nourish and hydrate your skin overnight. They can be used alone or underneath a moisturiser… the choice is yours. I personally love to use a facial massage tool like a Gua Sha or a Face Roller after applying a facial oil, using a tool like this really helps to maximise the effectiveness of the facial oil by allowing even more deeper penetration into the skin and a bonus is that it feels very luxurious and soothing for the facial muscles too. If you don’t have a facial massage tool then no worries, you can try out this wonderful daily facial massage after your facial oil application…
- Massage a small amount of your chosen facial oil into your skin, using your fingertips gently in circular motions.
- After the oil has been absorbed a little use your fingertips to glide across your face with a gentle but firm pressure and start at the jawline and work your way up, pushing the facial muscles upwards and outwards never inwards… the aim is to lift the face. Remember to also move the muscles under the skin rather than the skin itself.
- Enjoy the feeling of your face feeling more hydrated, nourished, soothed and relaxed once the massage is complete.
I hope this post has been helpful to you if you are on the search for a facial oil that suits your own skin type. I would love to know what your favourite facial oil to use is if you already use one so leave your favourite products down in the comments below! I also would love to hear all of your thoughts and opinions on this post so please feel free to share these too.